Gay Divorce In Texas, Marriage in New Mexico and Pennsylvania? A Post-DOMA Update

By , August 26th, 2013 | 5th Amendment, Civil Rights, Follow-up, Government, Hot Button Topics, Immigration, Legal, New York, Religion, Same-Sex Marriage | 0 Comments

Updated August 29, 2013: U.S. Treasury and Internal Revenue Services announces that for tax purposes they will recognize same-sex marriages entered into in jurisdictions where they are legal even if the couple resides in a state that does not.

Since the June 26, 2013 U.S. Supreme Court United States v. Windsor decision that the federal government must recognize same-sex marriages, state and federal agencies have gleaned over the ruling to figure out if and how to implement it properly. Since the previous article dealing with immigration and civil unions, other state and federal issues have arisen.

The Internal Revenue Service has yet to announce its policy on dealing with same-sex married couples, unlike several other federal agencies already have done. Different states are coming to different conclusions on the issue. Check out the interactive Google Map below for specific examples.

View Post-DOMA Same-Sex Marriage Milestones in a larger map

Feature photo credit: Bill Ward’s Brickpile via photopin cc

Back to top

Copyright Notice and Disclaimer:

This site may also contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in order to further our educational objectives. We believe this constitutes a “fair use” of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information, go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond “fair use,” you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
%d bloggers like this: